How to report an ISXEVE crash¶
Crash during extension load¶
If EVE crashes the instant that you load ISXEVE or if ISXEVE is working fine one day, and then not working the next day - and there was an EVE patch in-between these instances , then you need to do the following:
- Wait for a new release of ISXEVE (isxeve.dll) that is time-stamped later than your current ExeFile.exe. If you're impatient, come on IRC and help test.
- Download a copy of 'WinDbg' from Microsoft at
- Follow the instructions for 'Install Debugging Tools for Windows as a Standalone Component', unless you want the entire windows SDK (~400mb)
WinDbg link will be installed to the Start Menu under "Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)" or "Debugging Tools for Windows (x64)"
If you have the option, run the x86 version, otherwise the x64 is fine.
Attaching WinDbg to the Game¶
You can play EVE with the debugger attached forever without harming your playing experience.
You'll want to make sure you're playing in the windowed mode, not full screen mode -- otherwise you won't be able to get to WinDbg when the crash occurs.
- Run WinDbg Before or after EVE loads, doesn't matter
- Hit 'F6' and select "exefile.exe" from the list. This can be done at any time, as long as EVE hasn't crashed yet
- Execute the following commands in WinDbg:
- !load wow64exts (It's ok if this fails, it's only in case you're running the x64 debugger)
- .effmach x86 (It's ok if this fails, it's only in case you're running the x64 debugger)
- Extended instructions are required for .NET applications
- Extended instructions result in a superset of Basic instruction logs, so if you want to run them anyway, feel free.
Execute the following commands in WinDbg:
- .sympath SRV*C:\Temp*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
- Load SOS Debugging Extension, using one of the following methods: (stop as soon as it loads properly, which will mean it prints nothing)
- .load C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\sos.dll (for .NET 4)
- .load C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\sos.dll (for .NET 4 using WinDbg x64)
- .load C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\sos.dll (for .NET 2.0 thru 3.5)
- .load C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\sos.dll (for .NET 2.0 thru 3.5 using WinDbg x64)
- .loadby sos clr
- .loadby sos mscorwks
- .load sos
- Hit 'F5' in WinDbg to resume EVE (until you press F5 EVE WILL BE HUNG)
After crashing, type these commands in WinDbg: (You won't be able to until the debugger breaks on an exception, like it will on a crash)
Note, if you're not crashing, but instead hanging, go to Debug, Break in WinDbg AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after the hang.
- Run your normal EVE procedures, unless otherwise requested
- !analyze -v
- !analyze -v -hang (IF THIS IS A FREEZE/HANG, AND NOT A CRASH)
If this is for the extension, you go to 'Submitting the Crash Report' unless otherwise requested
If this is for a .NET application (Requested by a bot author), also run the following:
- Edit Menu, 'Write Window Text to File', "ISXEVE_username.txt"
- ~0 kp
- ~0 r
- ~*e !DumpStack
- ~*e !DumpStackObjects
- !clrstack -a -i (if this results in an error, remove the -i)
- Edit Menu, 'Write Window Text to File', "ISXEVE_DOTNET_username.txt"
Submitting the Crash Report¶
Email the file(s) to isxeve AT isxgames.com -- this will reach Amadeus and CyberTech
If using StealthBot, also email it to support AT stealthsoftware.net